Bulk email Invitations (Private forums)
The following process is for sending bulk email invitations from within the Plaetos platform:
Firstly, prepare your email list by creating a CSV (comma separated values) file with one email address on each line (you can also add first name and last name in columns if you wish - you can download a csv template for your invitations here).
The process is shown in the following GIF and the steps explained below.
- In your Plaetos account go to Admin > Manage participants.
- Once you're in the Participants section, click on the "Invite" tab, select the Forum you want to invite people to in the drop-down list.
- Navigate your way to the CSV tab
- Click on the "Browse" button and locate the CSV file containing email addresses
- Click "Upload"
- Wait a few seconds to allow the emails to appear in the New Participant Table
- Click "Invite"
- You will see a dialogue box asking you to confirm that you are ready to invite them
- Click "Im ready" and your emails will be sent
- IMPORTANT: Keep the current browser page open until you see that the participants details have been cleared from the New Participant Table.
Individual email invitations (Private forums)
- Follow the process above but select Individual instead of CSV in the Add Participants section.
- Add each individual email address (First and Last Name are optional)
- Click "Save" after each one is added
- Once you're ready to invite, click "Invite" then "I'm ready"
Advertised URL (Public forums)
Select this option if you want to allow anyone with the Forum URL to participate, to extend the opportunity to a wide range of people. Advertise the registration URL (you can find this by logging out and then navigating to the Register page) with anyone on social media, or on your organization's intranet.
You make the forum public when you are setting it up, or you can change from Private to Public by:
- Admin > Forums > Click 'Edit' for the forum you want to change
- In the forum Settings section, set the 'Private forum' button to off (grey)
- Make sure the Forum Status is set to 'Always Active'
Domain locking (Public & Private forums)
Select this option if you want to share the forum publicly, to extend the opportunity to a wide range of people with the same email domain. You might use this invitation method to share the forum across your entire organization, for example.
All Platos accounts have the option to lock their account to a specific domain so that only people with emails matching that domain can register.
- Go to: Admin > Settings > Domain locking
If 'Registration Domain locked' is turned on, a Public forum will be accessible only to people with that domain in their email address. Private forums will still require invitations and only people with that domain in their email address can register, even if an invitation is sent to someone outside the organization.
Examples with domain locking turned on:
- Your Plaetos account domain is locked to @company.com
- Jenny works at Company and is invited to a Public Plaetos forum. She can register with her email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jenny forwards the Forum URL to her friend Juan who works at OtherCompany. Juan cannot register using his email email@example.com
- Shu works at Company and is invited by email to a Private Plaetos Forum. She is able to register and participate using her email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danny works at OtherCompany. He is invited to a Private Plaetos Forum at Company. He tries to register using his email email@example.com but is not able to because domain locking has prevented any outside people participating.
If you want to be able to use domain locking as well as include external people in your forums, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and request a second customer sub-domain.